[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Tue Oct 10 15:37:02 EDT 2006

Brian wrote:

> Therefore, any events/DJs/teachers that demonstrate a
> track record of sustainable and/or growing popularity must by definition be
> exonerated from the designation of slobhood.  The market speaks - as Nina
> puts it so eloquently, "even rank beginners can tell...they feel it at their
> core when the music is good"

Popularity needs to be carefully assessed.  Is the event popular with
good dancers or does it attract only the beginners who do not yet know
much or dancers who are eternal beginners due to their "slobbery"?
There are events to which dancers of quality would not show up.  Such
an event might be financially successful through its popularity with
dancers who do not know any better, but completely snobbed by the
dancers that bring the quality of dancing that Brian is talking about
to the event.  People who seek quality of an experience will not
settle for mediocrity.  It becomes an issue of values, experience and
trade offs - does one want to go to a milonga populated by people who
do not dance well, with DJ music that is annoying at best or should
one go to the theatre or a movie instead?  It is all about what one is
willing to sell out.

Many years ago, a great dancer told me that there is no reason to
dance every tanda.  If one dances twice or three times, or even only
once during an evening, but with an incredible partner (increidble for
this person - after all, what may be an apple of my eye is apple sauce
to someone else!) and to the perfect for that moment music, then being
at the milonga for hours was worth it.

Warmest regards to all,

Nina