[Tango-L] cortinas, conventions + such

Dave Schmitz dschmitz at magellan.teq.stortek.com
Fri Oct 6 17:11:26 EDT 2006

Lucia wrote:

> Talking traditions:  the music, which is central to Tango, is hardly mentioned here.
>   For the beginning of a tanda signals the style/orchestra which will be  played to its end, and those who  don't favor that particular  combination, will wait it out.

Dear Lucia y todos,

Alas, though that was true in B.A. in the milongas I attended,
it is not true of several of the North American deejays Neil listed,
and makes for a FRUSTRATING DISAPPOINTMENT with the music played
by those several,
and yes, Manuel, I have mentioned my disappointment to a couple of them
directly, but to no avail.

To have the second, and only the second, song of a tanda be
D'Agostino+Vargas, is extremely frustrating.
To have all four songs be from different orchestras is
abominable.

I try to choose a partner for the music.

When the style/orchestra changes with the second song, and again
with the third, yes, I would vote with my feet, if I could,
but it's a festival
and there are tangueras with whom I would like to dance,
but the music is not contributing
but instead is getting in the way!

DJ Dave de Denver