[Tango-L] cortinas, conventions + such

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Oct 6 16:27:57 EDT 2006

Talking traditions:  the music, which is central to Tango, is hardly mentioned here.
  For the beginning of a tanda signals the style/orchestra which will be  played to its end, and those who  don't favor that particular  combination, will wait it out.

  Lucia

"Linda A." <tangaux02 at yahoo.com> escribió:  Let me see if I have this straight:

We all agree that we're not talking about
slavish, to-the-letter adherence to tradition.
Tango is not a museum piece.  Nor is it about
trying to follow said traditions so rigidly that
one ends up trying to out-Argentine the
Argentines, and becomes a caricature in the
process.

However, I find it impossible to learn a dance
without at least some regard for the culture +
conventions surrounding it.  It's insensitive at
best, and laughably delusional at worst.  And
"social" doesn't just refer to your home
community--it's also about how you relate to
other people in other communities. (I was an
anthropologist, go figure.)

Just because we're in North America (or Paris or
Tokyo), it's still ARGENTINE tango.  Differing
norms don't change the overarching conventions
within tango.  "Not being in Rome" doesn't give
you leave to play Gardel at a milonga, or yank
someone onto the dance floor.  On the flip side,
neither does it give you leave to stare
disdainfully at the floor, lamenting the
hopelessness of us poor norteamericanos who "just
don't get it." (I'm naming extreme cases here.)

Point is, there are bound to be outside
influences that color tango, but I think it's
also important to acknowledge the basic social
structure of tango, if we hope to dance it with
any measure of authenticity.  (I know virtually
all of you do: the recent uproar over Dancing
with the Stars confirms that.)

DJs, organizers and teachers have a larger
responsibility to their communities, so they have
more pressure to represent tango well.  Is every
professional a good role model? Of course not.
Being Argentine alone doesn't make you an
automatic ambassador of tango.  Being a great
dancer but an obnoxious personality won't help
either.  Thankfully, the tango world is big
enough to encompass the angels + devils alike.

Warmly,
Linda
(formerly of PHL, but freezing in New Haven)

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat3.asp?id=2287