[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

nina@earthnet.net nina at earthnet.net
Fri Oct 6 08:43:08 EDT 2006

Hello, again, everyone,

Brian wrote

> Pity this poor fallen tanguera, this pathetic trollop who shamelessly
> destroys her virtuous good name throughout the tightly knit USA tango
> community by foolishly remaining out on the pista in full view during a
> cortina with the same partner - but wait, here's the good news!
>
> Since, as you say, everyone notices everything, everyone at this milonga in
> the USA noticed that she and her partner didn't start dancing until the last
> song of the previous tanda, and understands that they stuck out the cortina
> because they want to enjoy a decent amount of dancing with each other.

Some people behave badly.  They just do.  It is disrespectful to ask a
woman to dance for the last song.  Usually, men who do that are doing
charity and will use cortina as an excuse to stop dancing with that
partner.

In Buesno Aires, there are other customs that are followed by the
women - never accept an invidation after the first tango of a tanda,
never accept an invitation from ayone who comes up from behind ans
verbally invites to dance, etc., but one has to live in BsAs to learn
these subtleties.  There is a really strong reason for each one of
these.  Of course, each person is free to follow them or not, but they
are alwso responsible for the consequences.  I am writing fromt he
experience because I broke every one of the customs at some point
while living in BsAs.

What I advocate for is that the professionals in the world of tango,
i.e. teachers, organizers and DJs do not condone such bad behaviors by
having no backbone to doing well what they are supposed to be doing in
their professinal roles.  To say that people have a differenct dance
experience in the US and therefore can throw away the customs that
promote respect, is a lame excuse that leads to poor quality of tango
events.  The respectful customs of tango will not stand up for
themselves.

But, on the other hand, maybe I am in the minority expecting respect
in tango.  I once was in Boudler, Colorado at a book store.  A man
opened a door for me and I thanked him.  He said that recently a woman
was rude to him because he openend a dor for her and told him that she
could do it herself.

Its like the ancient saying goes "People get the government that they
deserve", people get the tango experience that they deserve.

Warmest regards to all,

Nina