[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

Jacob Eggers eggers at brandeis.edu
Thu Oct 5 17:54:41 EDT 2006

> There are may people at the milongas who are just beginning to learn
> why things are done a certain way in tango.  People who are too new to
> grasp the intimate nature of the dance may not naturally be inclined
> to follow any kind of codes of behavior because they have not learned
> it or its purpose.  If a DJ goes along with such ignorance, he or she
> fosters an environment that I consider to be bastardization of tango,

Spanish is a bastardized latin. Tango is also bastardized. It wasn't
born from thin air, but evolved from previously existing dances. It is
still evolving. A beautiful thing about tango is that everyone who
learns the dance adds a little piece of themselves to it. I would find
the night a little less interesting if every follower danced with the
same style and tradition.

> People have to get off the dance floor after one set.  In tango, if
> they do not, usually it is the woman's reputation that will be at
> stake.  It is like leaving a milonga with a man, especially if the
> lady has arrived alone.  Of course, people who do not care about their
> reputation, may not care aout such things, but anyone who cares about
> the "longeity" of their popularity in a tango community, will
> definitely care about how they are perceived.

In the united states, that is not always the case. In many circles it
is very common and socially acceptable for people to dance multiple
tandas. Many of the most respected instructors in the US dance
multiple tandas. They derive their reputation from their unique style
and quality of dance rather than a foolish consistency in adhering a
foreign tradition.

However, traditions often exist for a reason which is not always
readilly apperent. There is also a distinct beauty about following
some traditions. So, I wouldn't say we should ignore tradition all
together, but just let it evolve a little.

> The music is there for the dancers.  Longer cortinas have a purpose -
> they allow dancers to choose appropriately their next partner.
> Considering that it is a man's responsibility to walk the lady to her
> table after a tanda, a longer cortina is essential.  The reason that a
> man walks a lady to her table is because she is often disoriented
> after dancing.  This has always been a custom and every custom has a
> reason behind it.  Does the current generation of dancers and DJs does
> not know this?

Walking back to the table is a tradition that I like and wish I
practiced more often. However, I have seen it taken too far. I've
heard a follower complain about being grabbed by the arm and forceably
led back to the chair where she was picked up. Tradition should be
adaptable.

> The DJ's work is fundamental.  A DJ who not only knows the music, but
> who spins with sensitivity and care creates a space for dancers and
> their feelings.  A real DJ is not someone who provides background
> music for whatever people want to do.  To DJ well is an art.  In
> regular nighclubs, DJs are valued and paid accordingly for what they
> create in terms of energy and flow - when people take a break and when
> they cannot keep themselves from dancing.  In tango, it seems that
> there is a much more amateur approach to this very important job and
> anyone who is willing can appear as a DJ.  That is too bad.

much agreed.

> Nina
> P.S. I never believed in conspiracies until I realized that there is
> an attempt by some people to replace the authentic music of Argentine
> tango with "alternative".

I'd say suppliment rather than replace.