[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu Oct 5 16:16:47 EDT 2006

Hi Dani (and Neil),

Well, I look at it like this... Not everyone is going to clear the
floor, since people sometimes dance more than a tanda together. So it's
not my job as a DJ to _force_ them off. It's my job to mark the change
between tandas. That's how I (and others) deal with the context we've
got. To dictate a different manner of conduct, when it doesn't really
matter all that much, is simply rude. After all, some of us aren't
acting out of ignorance: we're adapting to the conditions at hand.

As for people who dance to the cortinas... Well, if the DJ plays salsa
or swing or whatever, who really cares? People come to dance, and even
if they annoy me a little, it's hardly worth condemning them for the way
they have fun. Honestly, I pay more attention to picking out my socks.

Another matter, however, are the cortinas played before or after
alternative sets... These can get genuinely confusing. Some DJs, I
notice, don't even play a cortina before an alternative set-- a breaking
of the pattern that just throws people off. After an alternative set,
the cortina, I think, should be markedly NOT dance music, so that
dancers understand what's going on.

But for that matter, alternative sets also need to be selected with a
bit of care... I once heard a DJ play an obscure Piazzolla number at a
very well-attended milonga, and my partner and I were the only ones who
started dancing to it. Everyone else just stood around confused.
Reacting to the crowd, as he should have, the DJ faded it out after 45
seconds, pretended it was a cortina, and played a traditional tanda. I
wanted to dance to the song, sure; but he acted appropriately, and
clarified matters for the other 80 or so people present-- which is every
DJ's primary function, once they've got their tandas and cortinas worked
out.

The crowd at hand comes first. Everything else comes third.

Jake Spatz
DC