[Tango-L] Cortinas

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu Oct 5 12:37:01 EDT 2006

I'm still a novice DJ, but I use cortinas between 30 and 45 seconds,
depending on how much I need to clear the air between tandas. If I
really need to reset the mood, I follow the advice I got from Yesim
Sezer ("La turca" in NYC), and play Fresedo; you can get to him from any
direction, and depart in any direction.

I'm also of the opinion that using various cortinas adds a nice element
to the mix. I try never to use the same one twice in a row.

The DJ I usually work with on Wednesday nights at Divino (Yulia
Kriskovets) always plays the same cortina before an intermission (but
never at any other time), and most dancers appear to recognize it as a
signal-- i.e., time for announcements, perhaps a performance, and a
lyrics reading. It's a nice touch.

Jake Spatz
DC