[Tango-L] open steps, Huck's post

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Nov 24 16:29:39 EST 2006

Hi Martin (and everyone else),

John Ward's post is so far the only one that addressed my original
question, and his suggestion provided an elegant answer. I think I'm
scrapping the ship metaphor though, because it implies a preferred
direction of movement. (A helicopter or hovercraft would be more apt,
but most people know of "port" and "starboard" from sailing, and
sailboats don't travel astern unless you're in a lot of trouble.)

I've already decided to replace the ship with the clock again (although
the compass might do just as well). Basically, it works like this, for
an embrace _en face_:

The space behind the leader is 9:00 (or "west")
The space behind the follower is 3:00 ("east")

This allows both partners to dispense with left, right, forward, and
back as descriptors of the couple, and to reserve those terms (more
properly) for what their own bodies are doing. There the words make sense.

The advantage of the clock is that it gives us more familiar gradations,
in thirds. Also, CW and CC rotations remain perfectly legible. The
compass, however, has terms not already used (numbers are used in the
8CB; #3 matches in both schema), which eliminates confusion.

Time for a test run... (Readers who are lost with the verbal should
produce a quick overhead diagram: leader on left, follower on right,
12:00/North is the extended arm, or "top" of the page.)

I still fail to see the utility in describing 8CB #1-- a tandem step, in
parallel, due west-- as an "open step," because the dancers' legs are
NOT open with respect to each other or even to themselves. Also, to use
the clock positioning this time, let's consider that the leader steps
straight back to 9:00. The follower stepping to 8:00 is, with visual
clarity, doing an open step-- which also demonstrates his to be open.
Likewise, if she steps to 10:00, she's doing a cross-step-- and so is
he, because of her position. Why the difference? Not because she's
"crossed" her own body, but because she has crossed _the embrace_. Only
in a "back cross step" does one dancer cross their own body without
crossing the embrace (even in over-turned pivots, soltada cases excepted).

So, where does the step swap from "open" to "crossed"? Precisely at the
"neither-point" of 9:00, or due west, or whatever you want to call it.
The follower is stepping directly into the embrace. In order to see that
it's an open step, you have to distort the position-- i.e., relocate the
central axis of one or both dancers. Otherwise, there is no opening, and
there is no crossing. But relocating the axis requires a weight-shift--
the sine qua non of a step. So, in order to get the "opening" there at
all, you have to take _another_ step. Or at the bare minimum, you have
to perform another movement. THAT step, sure, is open. The initial one,
however, if unaltered, seems to be something else.

And in any case, even if you persist in calling that step "open," you
must realize that it's only "kinda" open. I'm asking not for a
justification of the system that calls it so, but for descriptors of
greater precision. That one, in my opinion, has simplified too much.

Jake Spatz
DC

=POSTSCRIPT: On the clockface=
The clock-thing provides a unique advantage over other metaphors,
because it allows for diachronic description of motion. To wit:
   Let the follower be hours (little hand), and the leader be minutes
(big hand).
   The parallel 8CB may be notated thus (alignment matters are ignored
in this example, to give this new notation greater simplicity the first
time out): weight starts at noon for both partners:

9:45
12:00
3:15
3:15
[stationary shift = #5, cruzada]
3:15
6:30
[close; or, if continuous, 9:45]

   Transitioning from open to close embrace would be 9:15. Vice versa, 3:45.
   The major problem, as you can see, is that there's no way to refer to
the center of a clock. Same issue with the "fifth point" of a compass
(the middle).
   That said, if a leader is ever confused, he need only turn his hand
palm-down and check his directions. In close embrace, he can glance at
the follower's watch on his left shoulder.
   Provided, of course, that you wear a watch on your left hand, like
most right-handed people do. (I'm only partially one of you.)
   Or perhaps we could denote a stationary weight-shift with "+", a
cruzada with "x," and nada with "__" or "(  )"
   Thus #5 would be "X:+", and #8 (as a close) would be "+:+"
   This doesn't account for which leg is which, but at least it tells us
where we're both going with a single (diachronic) descriptor.

Jake