[Tango-L] open steps, Huck's post

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Fri Nov 24 14:33:29 EST 2006

Huck wrote about the open step more eloquently than I did, I should have
kept reading before posting.
Jake wrote:  "And if an analysis can't tell the difference between #1 and #2
in the
8CB, I'm sorry, but it's a fairly worthless analysis. No?"

Not really, the first step is an open step with right foot of leader, the
second is an open step with left leg of leader.
Jake, the mere fact that there is a range of motion in the movement to open
step in relation to the trailing leg doesnt render the defintion useless.
For example, if in parallel you step back with the left, ie 6:00 on the
clock, or you step
Slightly to back diagonal, (7:00 oclock), or you step to side (9:00 oclock),
doesn't change anything.  It is only when the range of that movement, using
our left leg in that example, goes forward or back in the range from 12:00
to 6:00 oclock,  that we start to cross the standing leg.  Hey, I wonder if
using clock numbers in this fashion makes sense for your notations, Jake?
More common to us landlubbers than "port" and starboard one of the sailors
posted.