[Tango-L] Directional notation

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 16:21:11 EST 2006

Jake,

Interesting thread. It has raised several questions.

1. Who is the audience for the end result of your quest? (agreeing  with you,
if there is an answer)

2. Simplicity or the basic KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle seems
operative with most of us, until we want to communicate a specific idea or
principle among individuals of like interest. I.e. front, back, forward, in  place
work with the basic beginner with the caveat the follower is moving the
opposite direction, with the exception of the cross, the steps for Ochos are
independent and associated solely with the person or persons doing them. {at the
basic beginning level, where information overload is the norm]

3. The progression of a student's learning curve starts to complicated  the
foregoing, as the interaction between the dancers become more and more
interrelated and complex. But at this juncture is it the verbal description that
helps the dancer or the visual demonstration that helps the pair move forward.
Or is a combination of both?  I would think it is latter and the learning
styles of the individuals would determine the balance between the verbal and
visual.

4. The other factor is that dance steps of partners are not always mirror
images of the other. Thus trying to describe the actions of the couple as one
string of verbiage might be by almost definition impossible as they are doing
different actions. Example during a molinete, the follow is doing a set
pattern,  while the lead pivots, their feet are doing completely different actions,
the  relationship of the upper body is where there is symmetry.

I find the comments made to be informative and though provoking but I am
trying to set a context.

Just some thoughts,

Bill in Seattle