[Tango-L] Brian and Jake Directional Notation Analysis

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Nov 23 06:01:00 EST 2006

Manuel wrote:

>> they are wasted or even an impediment to the beginner or even
>> intermediate dancers.

Agreed.

Brian disagreed:

> Well, that's not our experience.  Total beginners get parallel/crossed,
> open/closed side of the embrace, and the "three-step" framework in the
> first or second lesson

That is sad to hear. Because it overlooks tango's true basic step (change
of weight) and obfuscates the foundation of all steps.

For example, here's one misunderstandings it promotes:

> Doesn't seem like a big deal really, conceptually you're switching
> weight from one foot to the other, so it affects parallel/crossed state,
> but otherwise it seems pretty trivial - you're not going anywhere,

Conceptually "not going anywhere" is not pretty trivial. It is fundamental
to the dance. Too often class teachers generate beginners that can go
forward, back and side, but not change weight.

Thankfully this is less of a problem hereabouts (Europe) than it might be.
Virtually no-one (including visitors from abroad) teaches this three-step
framework.

Chris