[Tango-L] Direction: Purpose

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Nov 22 17:42:41 EST 2006

Hi Bill in Seattle,

I don't know who the ultimate audience of this topic is, if that's
somehow different from you, me, and all others who've engaged the
discussion. I know I want a better way to describe the shit my partners
and I come up with in practice sessions (as I've said); and I know I
want a language that doesn't duplicate terms or oversimplify matters. To
repeat: I'm not looking for something "new" to inflict on students. I
want better terms for my own notebooks.

Also, I don't think the "visual vs. verbal" thing has any bearing on
this. We need better language, and perhaps more comprehensive concepts.
Today we're examining oranges; apples we'll deal with tomorrow.

Lastly, I'm prompted to get into all this by exactly the independent
motions you refer to. The lead and the leader are two-- plus the
follower, that makes three. The couple doesn't always execute identical
movements, and to teach beginners that they do only gives them a lot to
unlearn as soon as they get into their third or fourth month of it. As
soon as they learn ochos, in fact-- so their third or fourth hour, even.

I guess what I'm saying is that we need the analysis first, for us. (Us
being whoever finds the extant analyses inadequate and/or flawed.) Then
we can figure out how to present it to students, if the results are a
significant improvement on current teaching terms. If they aren't, then
we reserve the new analysis for super-advanced dancers only, because
they're the ones who actually need it.

The reorientation of the ship metaphor, offered by John Ward, strikes me
as having a damn lot of potential toward this end.

Jake Spatz
DC