[Tango-L] Now that I?m here in BsAs

Christian Lüthen christian.luethen at gmx.net
Sat Nov 11 17:45:26 EST 2006

Thanks, Tom,

I knew I could rely on you and you - correct - comment(s)!

Sorry, Caroline,
it's not the european men, at least not at only!
I definitely remember enough situations in Buenos Aires when I never
offered big steps, no boleos, no gachos to ('foreign') women ... but they
still did them. As Tom pointed out: I would, as the argentines do, just
let them go: give them one tanda - but no more never!

Caroline,
you're freightend of not getting these sort of dances/feelings anymore
back 'at home' (whereever you're from) ... and - unfortunately - you're
feeling the urge to share this and send a message to the world: only
the argentines can dance, only the argentines can produce these
feelings ... et cetera ... et cetera ... et cetera ... [the old klischee!]
Actualy: you definitely allready arrived with this sentiments ... and now
they were confirmed. [in psychology this is called 'self fullfilling
prophicy']
This is not an personal acuse ... in contrast ... but _please_ sit back for
a moment and think about what you espected from a (male) dancer /
leader back home before you came out to Bs.As.?!?!?! Didn't you
espect all that fancy stuff??? And now, as the argentine is not doing it
... now it great to stay simple! (?!)

In other words: I you (and the other women) would be that open
towards a non argentine back at home (also read: willing to follow
_to_the_same_extend_) as you are to the argentine ...
... you'd probably experience the same back home.
Or at least you could!

Do not get me wrong: I love Bs.As.! I love being there! (it's a very
strange feeling to not have been out to Bs.As. this year after three
years in a row) I love dancing there. But still - and I do share this with
many other dancers who have been to Bs.As. multiple times / regulary:
you can get fantastic dancing in Bs.As, that's true. But only if you're
able to catch the better and the best dancers [which is either because
you're a good dancer or you're very attractive or you dress up (down?)
half naked (which after you're observations I would not consider
concerning your person but have observed this with female tourists
quite often, not to say regulary] you will have the impressions you
described ... as there are a lot of (very) bad dancers in Bs.As.! A lot of
dancers which never would be able to get their shares in ie. european
milongas ... and if ever only because of the - continuing - female
misconception of that only an argentine can dance well!

Therefore - please - : the next time you're going to dance back home
welcome and embrace the men with the same openhearted feelings
you were giving the argentines when you arrived in Bs.As. (and now).
Be ready to give your best (as you do now in Bs.As.): that is _just_
_follow_!!!
Yes, there are two important words: "just" and "follow". "follow" is the
basis for the "just"! Be ready for this experience. Be ready to appriciate
a beginner/intermediate who's _just_ leadling simple things ... by your
devotion you will make the leader happy (and a better dancer as you
know by now!) and also make yourself feeling better!

Caroline: please do _not_ take this message personally ... it is not
meant to be! It's a hint to all females/followers who are (still) in the
"argentines by definition dance better" state!
And one day you will (perhaps) discover that there are _a_lot_ of
_non_-argentines around who dance a lot better than most of the
argentines (and most of the non-argentines as well).

And, one thing to realize and not to forget: check out about the lives of
those who dance that good down in Argentina! Are those folks 'down to
earth' or are they rather marginal figures??? That to say: check the
same things / values on your local dancers at home! What would you
think about an un/half-employed person killing _every_ night at
milongas into the (late) morning hours???

To some it up: from your posting I presume that you'd be very nice to
dance with ... and even more after you'd have given up that "argentines
are better by definition" sentiments!

Continue to enjoy Bs.As. and give the town a little hug from me!
Christian