[Tango-L] Now that I?m here in BsAs

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Sat Nov 11 16:03:16 EST 2006

Well, those wacky foreign guys are not dancing by themselves.

Less facetiously...

You have set up a straw argument, trying to get us to imagine a
strange follower who would just do big boleos or ganchos on her own
without being led. That's pretty uncommon.

The steps and navigation are chosen by the man. As Argentines
frequently say (apologies for the false cognate), "In tango the man
proposes, the woman disposes." But, there are plenty of ways for a
woman to dispose poorly. For example, forcing the wrong technique
onto the style offered by the leader.

A woman going to Buenos Aires without the ability to adjust her
technique to the style or styles prevalent in the milongas would be
labeled as unable to dance. A strong leader could force her to adapt,
but she won't get many dances from the better dancers.

I have certainly heard the same comment ("Wait a minute, Where did
you learn? You don't dance like a foreigner"), applied to women who
visit argentina. It makes you wonder what their experience has been
with foreign women, for them to make such a comment.

In other words, the same issues about learning how to dance ("the way
they do in milongas in Argentina") applies equally to women. Caroline
admits that with her first sentence: "I've realized that what I
thought I knew about tango, I actually didn't know at all."