[Tango-L] Private Lessons v Group Classes

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 16:12:01 EST 2006

My 2 cents on the topic...

A lot of valid comments about the shortcomings of group classes. But the
comments are aimed at a moving target. Not all group classes are created
equal. When I first started learning tango, group classes taught the D8CB
(of all things!).

But times have changed, and almost no one still teaches that way. I have
seen some group classes at Portland festivals that focused on step patterns,
but I have seen others that were entirely technique-oriented. I've seen Alex
Krebs teach group classes with 75 - 100 people in his small (for that number
of students) studio, and work almost exclusively on technique.

Another variation: I teach small group classes at my home/studio in SE
Portland. With no more than 5 couples, even though it is a "group" class, I
can give a lot of individual attention and customized instruction to each
student, almost as good as a private lesson.

     www.TangoMoments.com