[Tango-L] Private Lessons v Group Classes

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Mon Nov 6 13:24:53 EST 2006

Keith wrote:

"...Nobody would seriously disagree that private lessons are far more
valuable than group classes when learning to dance. However, not everyone
can afford the US$50 to US$150 that private lessons cost. Also, many
students prefer the fun and comraderie of learning in a group environment,
rather than the more serious one-on-one private lessons...
Keith"
Well, you know what this message is about.

Keith,

It look like you are very right in stating of usefulness of group classes.
Your message sound so solid and has a lot of common sense. And I was
inclined to agree with it.

But here I started to remember myself.
During the first year of tango I took group classes almost every day. And as
far as I remember what have I learned there? Memorizing important figures,
steps. But most of it: ability to see what teachers show in seemingly
unbreakable dance: it was so difficult to learn to see simple things in
their innumerable and complex sequences most often without any physical
explanation how to do it. Very little about connection. Those clumsy ladies
as partners.. I was thrown in the see to learn to swim and I was drowning !

The only understanding came to me after I obtained enough of experience of
dealing with chaos: I have learned how to swim. But this is not a dance yet.
The understanding of dance started to came to me only when some more
experienced people were generous enough to give a dance or two for me. I had
only 1 private lesson during my beginning era, and it made tremendous impact
on me !!!!!!!!!!!!! It was Brigitta Winkler. Also I still do remember those
several dances and dancers which actually taught me how to dance in close
embrace right on the dance floor! I have learned a lot of simple things
never taught observing actions of dancers on the dance floor.

I was very thankful to all these group lessons. I learned to recognize, I am
not afraid to say it, truth when I see the dance, and it was a key for my
success for learning with videos. I bought most of them and immediately I
was able to see who is what and far beyond usual experience. I could not do
it without those tiresome group lessons. Thanks!

Group classes are useful. For learning very basic things, developing basic
abilities ( for someone, I had it) learning to swim in the chaos of ideas
and visual images, making friends, but learning tango dancing comes only in
the dance with more experienced people. It is absurd to say otherwise.

It does not matter how many thousands of classes you take. It is easy, but
not enough. Dancing comes only after you make a significant effort to
actually dance !

Igor Polk.
PS. I would very doubt the value of most private lessons for the real life
Chris and Keith are talking about. Teachers are too good...

Good mix of everything is the solution: group classes, practicing,
workshops, privates, video, participation in shows, writing about, even
one's own teaching. But most imporant: dancing !!! Without it nothing will
help. You have to find a dance within !