[Tango-L] Style "vs." technique-- 3 ocho styles

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Sun Nov 5 13:31:32 EST 2006

Sorry, I didn't answer the important question...

Those 3 methods of doing ochos derive from the embrace. How did I
explore them? By varying my body tone, as a direct result of following
the music's melody and tone (instead of reducing it to rhythm).

If I prevent my partner from "rolling" (against my chest) within the
embrace, by becoming firmer and increasing the lean pressure a tad, she
stays glued to me (as in apilado embrace), and pivots her hips with more
dissociation. The angle and speed of the walk determine the degree of
her pivot.

If I become even firmer, move more sharply (and with shorter steps), and
keep a sharp angle to the ochos, she'll have to cross her legs under her
hips, without having much chance to pivot properly. (This is a lot of
fun with the zippier passages in Di Sarli, where the arrastre has a lot
of pep.)

If I become looser in the embrace and rotate my chest more fluidly,
she'll feel like rolling too. It all comes down to body tone, and how
well it interprets the music.

Typically, I change styles (and angles, directions, speed, etc) all the
time, sometimes every half-ocho. It lets me navigate at will, dance to
melody (and individual notes, on occasion), and present a ton of variety
without resorting to stupid shit on a crowded floor.

Where did I get this? From taking notes instead of taking classes. From
not second-guessing the teachers I did take classes with. From observing
the variety of ways in which my variety of partners move. From delving
into the fundamentals. From applying one style's techniques to another
style's embrace. (The last of these is a recipe for infinite discovery.)

Jake Spatz
DC