[Tango-L] Milonguero style, style vs. technique

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sat Nov 4 15:38:00 EST 2006

Christopher wrote:

> > Dancers in earlier times did not take classes.
>
> There are multiple accounts of highly regarded professional
> teachers of tango, ... So this isn't precisely true.

The existence of multiple conflicting accounts disproves none of them.
Anyone interested might like to read Christine's www.history-of-tango.com .

> there is a select group of people who understand the difference between
> style and technique in modern tango, who dance as they teach, who
> understand how steps have to change for specific bodies, and know ...

Agreed 100%.

> My suggestion is that a one private lesson from such a person is worth
> about 5 group classes

It's worth is more like /minus/ five group classes hereabouts, since the
value of the average group class is negative. Tango classes are mostly
adapted to the needs of the eternal "intermediates" and step collectors.
Those actually learning to dance are elsewhere.

When a beginners asks for advice I always recommend private lessons.
He/she soon experiences first hand that learning by dancing with someone
who can dance is about 100x as productive as learning by dancing with
someone who cannot.

Chris