[Tango-L] Milonguero style, style vs. technique

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Sat Nov 4 10:53:26 EST 2006

Chris, UK wrote:
> Trini wrote:
>

>> dancers in earlier times ... took classes in their own barrios.
>>

> Dancers in earlier times did not take classes. They learnt in practicas.

There are multiple accounts of highly regarded professional
teachers of tango, with their own studios, during the Guardia
Vieja and Golden Age periods.

So this isn't precisely true.
> Tango classes - and teachers - are merely a recent invention. As Christine
> Denniston wrote on the subject of learning in the Golden Age v. today:
>
>  there was no such thing as a Tango teacher and no such thing as a
>  beginners' Tango class before the Tango revival began in the mid 1980s.

I am prepared to concede that your average dancer back in the
day didn't take formal group classes.  Instead, he got private
lessons (for free) from more advanced dancers.

If you want to go that route, let's also recognize that the state
of the dance isn't what it used to be.  There is simply no way
that I would allow 95% of the people out there to have verbal
input into my dance.  That would include people who are
taking money for teaching tango as well.

However, there is a select group of people who understand
the difference between style and technique in modern tango,
who dance as they teach, who understand how steps have to
change for specific bodies, and know how to communicate
what they teach.  My suggestion is that a one private lesson
from such a person is worth about 5 group classes, and worth
much more if you receive corrections to fundamental errors.
Often, such people aren't the best dancers in the world.

A wholesale aversion to people teaching isn't the answer,
and neither is taking 2 group classes a day from the name
brand flavors of the day.

Christopher