[Tango-L] Women leading III

Yale Tango Club yaletangoclub at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 17:01:04 EDT 2006

Hi Sergio
  I learned to lead because our club needed an in-house teacher. I resisted it for a long time, feeling inadequate, but then I decided it was a skill I needed to acquire in the interest of my community. We now have 10 volunteer "teachers" helping our beginners and they can all lead and follow no matter their gender.
  Once having started, I continue to lead (+ also follow) including at our practilonga because:
  - I don't care how manly and hairy the chest, if the chest doesn't lead musically, it's painful and I'd rather do it myself. Eg Biagi tandas.
  - the girls in my club like to dance with me, apparently because musicality is important to them too (more than fancy steps or a hairy chest). I don't do fancy steps.
  When I follow a girl it's true there is no "frisson". On the other hand, there is no frisson with most guys either. With most guys, dancing is pleasant, and only with some it's exciting.
I dance with the good guy dancers and with the total beginner guys. I don't often dance with the in-between guys, you know the time when they pick up bad habits from dancing with beginner girls (overleading). The girls in my community like to dance with the in-between guys just fine. The only way in which I possibly tax the gender balance is when the good followers want to dance with me. However when I invite, I always choose from the girls who are sitting. Most of the time I am busy DJing, hosting, and helping the beginners. I give a lot more than I take.
  The beginner guys appreciate my input as a teacher helping them become better dancers. The listeros who have visited my community will agree it's a low-key friendly relaxed place with people who don't give attitude, and they don't judge each other's life by their tango. None of this is really a big deal. My relationships with men are just fine.
  Tine

Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  At this point I wish to ask : Why do you like to dance as a man? or as a
leader?

this question may be answered bu women or men the same.

Un abrazo, Sergio