[Tango-L] Women leading III

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 15:50:49 EDT 2006

Now, finally we are going to the point.

We know as a fact of life, that in tango like in life, there are two roles a
feminine one, and a masculine one.

Second self evident truth is that in any couple or partner dance one person
(the man) leads and the other follows, (the woman).

Third observation: in all my years of dancing ballroom and country-western I
never (or very, very seldom - usually dance instructors) saw women leading.

So the question is: why do women want to lead in tango?

A few possibilities:

1 - There is a women/men disproportion and women are sitting bored,   they
learn to lead so that they can have fun as well. but... this disproportion
happens in ballroom and country-western as well and they do not seem to be
interested in leading except when they are dance instructors.

In the other dances both partners make the same moves, one the mirror image
of the other
(except in some turns and a few figures). Those dances are said to be
symmetrical.

Tango is asymmetrical. The man does different foot work from that of the
woman.

Here we have again the two worlds, feminine and masculine...and women are
interested in doing the masculine role.

2 - The man leads in all dances but some are symmetrical and predictable,
tango is unpredictable, improvised. It is possible that some women wish to
create their own tango, rather than walk hand in hand and cooperate in
creating a tango suggested by the man. In doing so they are departing from
their feminine role.
So some women love to create a tango, lead it properly and  doing a nice
musical interpretation.

3 - Some women see teaching tango as an interesting occupation and decide to
learn both roles.

4 - They are masculine and like dancing with other women.

5 - They are feminists who wish to do anything a man can do.

At this point I wish to ask : Why do you like to dance as a man? or as a
leader?

this question may be answered bu women or men the same.

Un abrazo, Sergio