[Tango-L] Happily I missed the posting!

Derik Rawson rawsonweb at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 16:49:10 EDT 2006

Dear Lucille:

We have a wonderful gay guy who comes to dance with us
at Salento here in Houston. He hosted a huge milonga
at his house for all of us this last XMAS and we all
had a blast. He invited all of his gay friends to join
in. We showed them what we knew about dancing tango,
so they could dance with their boyfriends. When he
went down to BsAs, we also made sure he knew where all
the gay clubs were in BsAs, including La Marshall.  He
was very unhappy dancing with our women all the time,
here in Houston, so now he brings his boyfriend to
dance tango.  At least he is smart about who he should
be dancing with and why.  US American women are not so
smart, I am afraid.  They waste their time dancing
with the wrong people and wonder why they have
problems with men...lol.

I agree with you that the gay clubs are the best.
That is true here in Houston as well.  Houston has one
of the largest gay communities in the US, right after
San Francisco, so we know all about the gay lifestyle.
 Some of the first gay pride parades were here in
Houston.  Again, I agree with you.

Derik
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com

--- Lucille Krasne <lukrasne at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I guess you might say I am just one lucky person to
> have missed the original
> post from ³Derik² but now for my little report about
> La Marshall:
>
> I have read some truly wonderful posts (and some
> awful) in this argument on
> men/women follow/lead.  Having finally got down to
> BsAs after 12 years in
> this dance, I found the most wonderful thing
> happening: I was told to get to
> La Marshall, the gay/lesbian Wed. night milonga to
> find that the joint was
> really jumping!! So many top Argentine dancers were
> there-- straight, gay,
> whatever!  It is jumping because many people are
> moving into the 21st
> Century nicely, are dropping the old homophobic
> prejudices, learning from
> other cultures and the new freedom is so inviting
> that the place seems to
> have really taken off!!  Especially in this culture
> it is quite amazing!!!
> The performances were more fun and imaginative than
> most I have seen.
>
> I highly recommend dropping by of a Wednesday night
> in BsAs. Most of the gay
> guys are just getting their tango feet, so the
> dancing in many cases is that
> of beginners. But it is a start for them, and more
> power to them!
>
> Lucila de Nuevo Djork (as it sounds to me down
> there)
>
> PS I remember when Tango Mujer first formed in NYC
> (maybe 6-7 yrs ago),
> because 5 women--Rebecca, Fabienne, Valeria,
> Brigitta, and her Berlin studio
> partner, Angelika (and sometimes dance
> partner)--wanted to try new
> things--expand the horizons of their dancing!  And
> oh what a buzz!!! Surely
> the lot were a bunch of outrageous lesbians.  Well,
> they were bloody brave
> and courageous to do this in light of the general
> attitude of fear and
> loathing of gays!! But do this they did, and created
> a lovely and
> imaginative company.  (By the way, most are happily
> married or with their
> favorite guy/s, but this is not to defend them, just
> to ask those who would
> "label" others in what could be taken as a
> pejorative way to please stop
> this forthwith.)

Derik Rawson
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com
http://www.rawsonweb.com
713-522-0888 USA Landline Direct to Portable Cell Phone
281-754-4315 USA Landline Voice/Fax
d.rawson at cal.berkeley.edu
d.rawson at haas.alum.berkeley.edu
rawsonweb at yahoo.com