[Tango-L] Happily I missed the posting!

Lucille Krasne lukrasne at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 13:53:34 EDT 2006

I guess you might say I am just one lucky person to have missed the original
post from ³Derik² but now for my little report about La Marshall:

I have read some truly wonderful posts (and some awful) in this argument on
men/women follow/lead.  Having finally got down to BsAs after 12 years in
this dance, I found the most wonderful thing happening: I was told to get to
La Marshall, the gay/lesbian Wed. night milonga to find that the joint was
really jumping!! So many top Argentine dancers were there-- straight, gay,
whatever!  It is jumping because many people are moving into the 21st
Century nicely, are dropping the old homophobic prejudices, learning from
other cultures and the new freedom is so inviting that the place seems to
have really taken off!!  Especially in this culture it is quite amazing!!!
The performances were more fun and imaginative than most I have seen.

I highly recommend dropping by of a Wednesday night in BsAs. Most of the gay
guys are just getting their tango feet, so the dancing in many cases is that
of beginners. But it is a start for them, and more power to them!

Lucila de Nuevo Djork (as it sounds to me down there)

PS I remember when Tango Mujer first formed in NYC (maybe 6-7 yrs ago),
because 5 women--Rebecca, Fabienne, Valeria, Brigitta, and her Berlin studio
partner, Angelika (and sometimes dance partner)--wanted to try new
things--expand the horizons of their dancing!  And oh what a buzz!!! Surely
the lot were a bunch of outrageous lesbians.  Well, they were bloody brave
and courageous to do this in light of the general attitude of fear and
loathing of gays!! But do this they did, and created a lovely and
imaginative company.  (By the way, most are happily married or with their
favorite guy/s, but this is not to defend them, just to ask those who would
"label" others in what could be taken as a pejorative way to please stop
this forthwith.)