[Tango-L] Women leading III

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 16:30:08 EDT 2006

"At this point I wish to ask : Why do you like to dance as a man? or as a
leader?"

Well, even your question is a bit off. Not  to mention your possibilities
that only reason a woman would want to lead is because she either wants to
be a teacher or she's "masculine" or she's a feminist.

>From what I understand, in Argentina, there's no "leader and follower", it's
more like one shows the way and the other responds.

For me personally, what I like about leading, it shows interpretation of the
music and also to give my partner a good time.

Also, it can be occasionally about wanting to be in control. Which is
neither a masculine or feminine trait exclusively. Sometimes you would like
a dance to be a very particular style, in which case, only way to make that
happen is to take charge. I've seen some really bad male dancers and often
thought to myself that if only someone would lead them in order to show by
example what could be improved, whether it's footwork, rhythm, correct
interpretation of music.

Last weekend, a stranger asked me to dance with him. He led, I followed. He
danced so well. After the tanda, I turned to my regular dance partner and
said, "if only you knew how much fun it can be as a follower." Then I
realized right at that point that I wanted to learn how to lead so my
partner gets to see how sublime it can be not to have to think about
choreography or anything else, instead just go with your partner's flow.
That entire giving up of control can actually be such a release/relief.

Not a bad idea for women to learn leading especially when women always
outnumber the men at milongas. Makes me sad to see some of them sitting all
night, waiting for a chance to dance at least one tanda. If I knew how to
lead, I wouldn't think twice about asking them to dance with me, to have
some fun. Heck, maybe they could teach me a few things that I could
incorporate into my dancing as a follower.

And finally,  my partner. I love him but he's a male chauvinist pig
sometimes. I would whole-heartedly encourage him to dance with other men so
they could show him how to lead well. But I never would because he's so
steadfastedly paranoid about anyone thinking him as gay, even in the privacy
of a workshop session or a practica. It's too bad that he thinks that way
because he's really limiting himself of opportunities to learn. Just trying
to get him to be my follower in the privacy of my home is an arduous task
and he would back off after 2 minutes.

It's frustrating when people don't open up their minds and try to be a
little less linear. It's always going to cause problems for them in life if
they don't allow themselves to see anyone else's perspectives but their own.

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.
first two months FREE*.