[Tango-L] Teacher survey

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 15:44:03 EDT 2006

Hi Joaquin,

As a teacher, I keep in mind that someone could
pleasantly surprise me and I like to give them that
opportunity.

Generally, students will check with me before signing
up moving up a level.  Usually, their own assessments
are correct, so we do not have a problem.  Also,
assistants are there to help those with problems.  And
I figure it's my job to give something for everyone to
work on.  Sometimes I make attendance at our practica
a requirement for a student.  It's really up to them
how hard they want to work at tango.

In four years, I have only turned 2 people away at
workshops, but only after I have made it perfectly
clear in promotion material about requirements and
after I have danced with them myself.

The "free-for-all" at lessons is something I do not
like myself.  If you find that is problem with your
area, I suggest you take it up with your teacher or
just take privates.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- joaquin <joaquinenrobeas at excite.com> wrote:

> To all you teachers out there in list land:
>
> Who is in charge of your class levels?  Do you
> consciously promote a student from beginner to
> intermediate?  Do you let an outside student with
> some experience join an advanced class?  Or do the
> students just show up/sign up for the class they
> think is appropriate?  Are you afraid you'll lose a
> student ($$$) if you don't promote them when they
> think they're ready?  Have you ever had to ask a
> student to stay in a lower level class?
>
> Sometimes it seems like it's just a free-for-all.
> (Go to any level you like regardless of skill.)  I'm
> not asking what the appropriate skills are or should
> be.  For example , "You have to know how to execute
> ochos before you can progress to intermediate."
>
> What I'm interested in , is whether you have a
> philosophy.  I understand that if teaching dance is
> a full time career for you, then you have to make a
> profit, but students who have worked their way up
> the skill ladder over a period of time also have
> expectations about the skill level of their fellow
> classmates.
>
> joaquin
>
> ps: I'm a student.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm