[Tango-L] Tango reflects society - introduction

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 13:59:04 EDT 2006

What follows is how I see the origin of tango roles.  A representation of
Argentine society.

Notice that I say "how I see" it. There are many Argentine Milongueros (or
anyone else) that read these notes and I welcome them to give their opinion
if they do not agree with my views on this subject. (If you write in Spanish
I will translate).

This does not mean that you have to dance in any different way than that
that you prefer.
This does not pass judgment on any society whatsoever, it merely describes
something as I see it.

Argentine women, like many women all over the world, are happy they are
women.

Argentine men are happy they are men.

Women in Argentina have their own feminine world and men have their own
masculine world at the same time they have an intense relatinship with each
other.

There is some mysterious thing about those worlds: men think that women have
their own mysterious world and women think the same way as to the man's
world.

They show intense respect for each other's worlds.

In a party, generally speaking, women and men mingle and talk freely but if
there are three or more women discussing something, men stay away and women
do the same when a group of men are talking among themselves.

Those worlds intersect at times, men and women come together as masculine
and feminine, they know that they are different, they do not compete, they
do not compare, they help each other to fulfill their roles in life.  They
walk hand in hand in admiration of each other's differences, accepting and
celebrating them.

When it comes to tango those facts are represented in the dance, there is a
feminine role and a masculine role.  They both men and women are highly
respectful of such roles.

As an alternative women can perform the masculine role and men can do the
feminine  one, or each one can do both roles. As I explained before this is
not about machismo or homophobia at all. it is a mere explanation of the
origin of the roles in tango.

There is a masculine and a feminine world at the milongas as well...but I
will discuss that later.

Regards, Sergio