[Tango-L] women leading

jackie ling wong jackie.wong at adelphia.net
Fri May 26 12:46:51 EDT 2006

greetings..

well i lead in buenos aires...  in classes and at the milongas..  i
lead friends of mine who are very good and sensitive dancers.  i have
also led an Argentine male friend of mine who is an excellent
follower.  women seek me out in classes (argentine and visitors) and
everyone is surprised that i , a woman, lead as well as i do.  i
think i receive more compliments than complaints and surprisingly
probably get asked to dance more after i lead.   maybe everyone is
more forgiving because i am an norte americana.  :-)

why do i lead?  because i love the opportunity to interpret the music
with a good follower (male or female)...  yes, i can also interpret
the music as a follower but  it's not the same for me.

i have found that as a follower there are definitely, for lack of a
better word, "masculine" qualities in my role and i also feel
"feminine" qualities when i lead... so for me, it feels easy to make
the transition with a slight adjustment.  it's very zen the
conversation of tango.  the give and take...  the message...  maybe
my asianess makes me more comfortable with this concept.  :-)

when we are following, we are always dancing another person's
dance.... yes we have adornments etc...  but generally it's someone
else's vocabulary.  on the other hand,  this is what makes being a
follower so exciting because you never know what the leader will
bring to the dance.   the unexpected...that moment when you
connect... very powerful...but sometimes, i want to be the one who is
leading the conversation... making the suggestions... setting the
tone...  and of course listening to my partner's reply which opens
the door for endless possibilities.

what's interesting is that i am probably more picky about who i dance
with as a leader..   and i have tried to figure that out for myself.
one reason i'm sure is that i am small and have a chronic muscle
issue so i can't dance to followers that are heavy or out of control.
i think the other is because of the reason i lead in the first
place...  if a follower is basically "leading"  because they
anticipate, are heavy and pull, or are just out of control than my
role as leader is minimal.  i'm following again...it's no longer a
conversation.

i guess i could say the same for following...  there are some leaders
that want you to disappear as a follower... that's okay sometimes but
i definitely prefer someone who wants me present.

this is the way i feel about what i do...  you're totally welcome to
feel differently and to act differently...  but don't try to make me
into you...

jackie
www.tangopulse.net