[Tango-L] Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope...

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Wed May 24 12:09:02 EDT 2006

> Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> > a man who leads well makes a woman feel like
> > she can really dance.
>
> Er yes. That's precisely what leading well is for.
>
> > If she believes this illusion
>
> Er no. The feeling the guy gives the girl is by definition tango reality,

Which reminds me:
last week I went to a smallish group lesson given by Oscar Mandagaran at a
private apartment. There were 3 male and 9 female students (which speaks for
itself, and stands for what it is like to be dancing in Japan). Moreover,
only one of the men was a resonably good dancer, but he and a second one out
of those three did not know how to navigate, which meant for us: either be
led through a very lame version of the moves being studied, or get led a
little better but be crashed into another couple at least once during per
minute, or both.

Every time Oscar said:"Ladies, find your partner !", all the ladies would
kind of hesitate in their end of the room, not very keen on pairing up...
(have never seen it that bad before).
And every time Oscar gave a little speech on how for every lesson a woman
takes, a man should take 3-5 lessons because it is so much more difficult
for a man to learn tango, the men kind of stood there with sagging
shoulders, giving Oscar a lopsided non-committal smile.

I was so put off by the whole experience that I needed several days break
from tango, and so far, my addiction is not pushing me to go.

I agree with tl2/ Chrisjj. And with what Michael said:
"Attitude and effort count for a lot. Quality is more
important than quantity. Connection is always more important
to me than figures. It took me a L-O-N-G time to learn that
lesson."