[Tango-L] Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope...

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue May 23 14:45:34 EDT 2006

It hasn't gotten to the point I have to hide in the men's
room. I doubt that will ever happen.

I dance with beginners. This list gives mixed messages on
how to help them. Should I just dance and say NOTHING or
should I proffer a hint like "relax?" If the woman is
pushing me off our alignment with a stiffly extended right
arm, I'll push it straight down or drape it over my shoulder
so she can't push me sideways off our centers. Sometimes,
she realizes she is suddenly dancing much better and
molinetes aren't as difficult. She may even comment that
it's easier to dance.

It would really be helpful if beginners would tell us 1) do
you want any verbal suggestions? or 2) do you want us make a
change in the embrace, e.g. holding your right hand
differently? or 3) say nothing.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is lessons. I respect a
beginner who is making an effort to get better, no matter
how long it takes. Then there are other dancers who just
stagnate. A good leader has gone through hell to get good.
Isn't it reasonable that he expects followers to make a
similiar effort?
Attitude and effort count for a lot. Quality is more
important than quantity. Connection is always more important
to me than figures. It took me a L-O-N-G time to learn that
lesson.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Waiting for my monitor to explode