[Tango-L] Getting to Expert - or, Do you Work on your Dance??

Evan Wallace evan at tangoing.com
Tue May 9 15:01:30 EDT 2006

On May 9 Astrid Wrote:

As a real woman, being called "a follow" is even worse than being called a
"follower".

Astrid:

On this point I will have to agree. After a few minutes of thought, I can't
think of any other instance in which the verb form of an activity (e.g., to
run, to jump, to dive) is the same as the noun for the person who does that
activity (e.g., a runner, a jumper, a diver). I don't know how this became
common in the English-speaking Tango world (e.g., "There are a lot more
leads than follows here tonight"), but now that you mention it, it bothers
me to. Henceforth, I shall call you a "follower" when you follow, and a
"leader" when and if you lead, and a "woman" in any other context where your
gender's characteristic morphology, behavior, or choice of sexy shoes is
important.

Evan Wallace
Seattle, WA
www.tangoing.com