[Tango-L] On Axis, Off Axis

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon May 8 20:23:22 EDT 2006

>>> Finally, all of these principles apply to open embrace as well as
>>> close embrace. In close embrace, the forward force is applied
>>>  with the chest, while in open embrace it is applied with the
>>> points of contact in the hands/arms.

> Maybe I have it wrong, but the usage of the core in OE is completely
> different from what is described above. For example, if I dance CE
> with
> a woman with my eyes shut, I can tell what foot she is on with no
> problem. This is a lot harder in OE and it is rare I can pull it off.
> Try it and tell me if you notice a difference. All of this is specific
> to little moi but I'd be interested if others experience this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Yes, you have a lot more control in CE. But, core support & internal
power is just as important in open or close.

One habit martial artists often have difficulty removing is the
training to stand on both feet. In Tango you generally (but not
always) are better off relaseing one foot in order that the other
completely take the weight.

Also, too much core strength and you ride up on your hips. Stacking
the skeleton, involves settling into the hips, and then you use core
strength to solidify that. Watch the old Argentines, and you will see
a lot more hip-play than you might expect.