[Tango-L] On Axis, Off Axis

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Mon May 8 16:55:58 EDT 2006

Tom Stermitz wrote:

>I like what Igor pointed out about how easily and smoothly the woman
>pivots when her axis if vertical. Also, that if she loses core
>support, the axis caves in and dissipates the energy.
>
>I personally prefer the more vertical posture, as it makes her
>movements very efficient and my life very easy. I can stop thinking
>about holding her up, and just channel the music.
>
>Core support or inner-tone makes her much lighter, even if she is
>leaning. Slumping onto me or bending at the waist makes her feel very
>heavy and sluggish.

Comment from a tango newbie who trains athletes ( martial arts, been
doing that 27 years): A kink in the spine effectively disconnects you
from your lower body. The ramifications are that you have to muscle it
with your upper body since you cannot use your legs plus you can get a
nasty backache. I see this a lot and spend a lot of time correcting it
in my students.

Here is your first martial arts lesson people: Stand up straight and
relax. Why aren't you on the floor? Because you instinctively stacked
your bones to take the load and when you relaxed, you removed all
tension except what it took to retain alignment. This is what I mean by
structure. I like CE because I have excellent structure and can use it
in a comfortable way for both me and my partner. OE and I don't mix so
well on this account too -- I've got the ballistic properties of the
Rock of Gibraltar. This is just a personal preference.

<snip/>

>THREE POINTS OF LEVERAGE.
>
>Pressing into the earth with the feet gives the leader one "point of
>leverage". He feels that the follower has completed her step, a pre-
>requisite for taking the next step.

 From a mechanical point of view, bent legs act like shock absorbers and
give a squishy feel. I'm a beginner in tango, but the first thing I
noticed about the dance is the very good use of structure for
everything. Doing this will allow the forces to transmit normally and
let your skeleton handle the load so you don't get tired and you can
judge what your partner is doing.

>Second point of leverage is the connection or "presence" (yes, a
>little pressure) on his chest.
>

>Third point of leverage is the internal connection in the lower
>abdominal muscles, the "dan tien" if you wish. This is achieved by
>engaging the internal muscles. Helpful language from pilates is "pull
>your belly-button toward the back bone", but it is really a bit
>lower. This makes sense if you think about how the lower ab muscles
>solidify the skeletal framework where the backbone and pelvis meet.
>Any yoga or martial arts or athlete will be aware of this.

You are referring to your transverse abdominal muscles. These are the
ones right below the navel (guys contract these all the time when a
pretty girl goes by :o>). A simple and good exercise is a "vacuum":
contract and hold these muscles for up to 30 seconds. Actually these
muscles are much more important than most people think:

1. They are the only muscles in the front of the body that attach to the
back. As such, they are vital for posture.

2. Every time you move a limb, these muscles contract first in order to
solidify your core (core muscles are NOT just your abs, but everything
from your nipples to you knees, including your hamstrings). If you are
not using your transverse abs right in sports, the muscles in your limbs
will refuse to contract fully because they know they lack leverage. This
is why strength training is often a bad idea for athletes -- they get
strong biceps or whatever and bafflingly still can't generate force once
they are away from a weight machine.

[Public service announcement: If you have back trouble and have problems
standing upright, try some vacuums -- any position you are comfortable
in works, sitting, prone etc.. You'll stretch the lower back into its
normal position and be able to move much more easily. Forget about
trying to touch your toes or leaning backwards as a stretch. Also, one
bit of standard wisdom is that people with back trouble should do
situps. Not a bad idea, but vacuums are now recognized as the right
exercise.]

>The same three points of leverage apply for the man. Engaging these
>leverage points and using internal power makes his movements powerful
>and confident. The inevitable force.

Again, mechanically the reason is that all together you are in a
position to use your abdominal muscles and route all the forces into the
ground. This keep leaders from getting a sore back and because it is
physiologically an extremely good use of body mechanics, makes the
follower feel like she is on casters. All of it is smooth and effortless.

>>Finally, all of these principles apply to open embrace as well as
>>close
>>embrace. In close embrace, the forward force is applied with the
>>chest,
>>while in open embrace it is applied with the points of contact in the
>>hands/arms.

Maybe I have it wrong, but the usage of the core in OE is completely
different from what is described above. For example, if I dance CE with
a woman with my eyes shut, I can tell what foot she is on with no
problem. This is a lot harder in OE and it is rare I can pull it off.
Try it and tell me if you notice a difference. All of this is specific
to little moi but I'd be interested if others experience this.

Cheers,

Jeff