[Tango-L] On Axis, Off Axis

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Sat May 6 16:40:34 EDT 2006

I like what Igor pointed out about how easily and smoothly the woman
pivots when her axis if vertical. Also, that if she loses core
support, the axis caves in and dissipates the energy.

I personally prefer the more vertical posture, as it makes her
movements very efficient and my life very easy. I can stop thinking
about holding her up, and just channel the music.

Core support or inner-tone makes her much lighter, even if she is
leaning. Slumping onto me or bending at the waist makes her feel very
heavy and sluggish.

On May 6, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Jay Rabe wrote:

> ...If I stand flat-footed, with my center of mass directly over the
> center of
> my foot. I am clearly on-axis, in the most literal sense. If I lean
> forward,
> putting my center of mass above the ball of my foot. I am still on
> my axis,
> in the sense of fully supporting my own weight, but now my chest
> has moved
> about 4" forward (a maximum of 1/2 the length of my foot, per Even's
> analysis of center of mass not extending beyond the edge of the
> "foot-print"). Mechanically, moving my chest forward is equivalent
> to moving
> my feet back. If my follower does the same, the consequence is that
> now
> there is more space between our feet, and we can dance without
> knocking
> knees...

Not really,

POINTING YOUR HEEL DOWN.

Bumping knees means that the knee is bent. Commonly, this happens
when the woman's heel comes up. Pointing the (moving leg's) heel
downward, and stretching the achilles causes the leg to straighten,
immediately solving the knee-bumping problem.

You could just say straighten your leg, but that often causes stiff
legs and hips.

You could say move your feet back or get your legs out of the way,
but I really prefer her legs moving with slower and closer connection
to my chest. There is something very nestled and tango-esque about
thighs almost touching.

You could argue that when the woman wears high heeled shoes her heels
are up by definition, but I would still suggest that she should point
her heels downward.

It isn't just about the moving leg. The sensation of "heels downward"
has a big consequence for the supporting hip and the balance.
Settling into the hip and the earth creates a very different feeling
than being up on the toes and up on the hips.

(Also, pointing the heel downward lengthens the psoas, causing a
softer, less-rigid line in the lower body. This makes spiraling much
smoother. So many beneficial results from one single idea!)

(Leading with the toes to create a long line is a different issue,
about style and appearance, not internal/intrinsic movement. This
extrinsic issue becomes more important on stage, but in social tango,
men are taking moderate-length strides and all that detail of long,
reaching steps causes problems.)

> Teaching this concept (weight on balls of feet) can be challenging.
> One
> device used by a lot of instructors is to have the dancers apply
> forward
> pressure to their partner. Alex uses the expression "2 pounds of
> force." In
> order to apply forward pressure, a person must push with their
> feet, which
> has the consequence of putting their center of mass/force over the
> balls of
> their feet. ...

Yes.

THREE POINTS OF LEVERAGE.

Pressing into the earth with the feet gives the leader one "point of
leverage". He feels that the follower has completed her step, a pre-
requisite for taking the next step.

Second point of leverage is the connection or "presence" (yes, a
little pressure) on his chest.

Third point of leverage is the internal connection in the lower
abdominal muscles, the "dan tien" if you wish. This is achieved by
engaging the internal muscles. Helpful language from pilates is "pull
your belly-button toward the back bone", but it is really a bit
lower. This makes sense if you think about how the lower ab muscles
solidify the skeletal framework where the backbone and pelvis meet.
Any yoga or martial arts or athlete will be aware of this.

The same three points of leverage apply for the man. Engaging these
leverage points and using internal power makes his movements powerful
and confident. The inevitable force.