[Tango-L] On Axis, Off Axis

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Sat May 6 15:39:58 EDT 2006

If I may add my views? Please comment!

Just the term "on axis" can be misleading. What does it really mean? The
earth is on it's axis, but it's tilted. On axis in relation to what? I
think; Each dancer should "maintain" a single, straight, reliable axis
whether or not that axis is "in balance" or not (I guess which we can
define as vertical to earth's center?). Axis and balance are totally
different things. A pig on a spit over a fire is "on axis", but it sure
isn't on it's own balance.  Then there is always a third axis, the one
about which the dancers move. Even in a "single-axis" turn, such as a
colgada, there are the axes of the dancers, revolving about a central
axis, but the three axes are just really close together.

Balance is a completely separate issue. Bottom line, to me, in all
styles of tango, balance can be individual, or it can be shared. What's
cool is when two bodies start reacting instinctually to the needs of
each to maintain the balance of each. At it's best, it is such a dynamic
thing that balance may change from shared, to individual, and back to
shared again, etc, in milliseconds.

Just my take....

Michael