[Tango-L] Falling off your axis...

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sat May 6 17:01:09 EDT 2006

Evan!!!! I have a headache...jeesh, you scientist types...I think if you
talk to any of the well known "dancers" they will tell you the same of
what I wrote.  How do I describe?  I never look to the man to provide me
with my balance or my center.  I have my own.  I don't know the names of
all these steps, because essentially they were named for export.  I just
dance.  I had that conversation with Roberto the other night.  I told
him that people always ask me things about colgadas, volcadas, etc. and
I have no idea what they are talking about, I told him I  just follow
your lead and whatever it is you want me to do. (and that is about the
only time I do whatever he wants me to do, so don't get any ideas..) His
response?  "Muy bien que dijo."  (What you said was right.) He said that
when he took from Todaro, from Avenellada, Balmaceda, there were no
names, you just walked or did a giro.  The movements become sequences.
It was only when there was an influx of people from outside, that names
were then give to the steps.  Kind of like the 8 count basic which does
not really exist here. (Kind of like how Argentines give directions...oh
you know, that place on Entre Rios sort of in the middle of the
block...near that other place.)

Beyond that, I have executed many steps where we are not in front of
each other, and to do them properly I need to have complete control of
my body - which means my posture, my balance, and my center. (Think Tai
Chi) I need to know where my partner's axis is and he needs to know
mine, but if done properly , you never have to look, or even think about
it, it is just there.  Beyond that my friend, I don't know what to tell
you.  I cannot explain just like everyone else...sigh...where is the
excedrine?