[Tango-L] On Axis, Off Axis

Mallpasso@aol.com Mallpasso at aol.com
Sat May 6 16:18:23 EDT 2006

Dear All:

According to the Oxford dictionary (gotta go back to the real source  of
English, right?), axis is defined as:

"an imaginary line about which an body rotates"; or "line that divides  a
regular figure symmetrically";  the former describes a body in motion the  latter
describes a body physically with respect to it's shape but says nothing
about movement or motion.  None of the above describes a body in static,  i.e.,
standing still as when a dancer pauses.  So it appears the usage of  the word is
can be applied when a dancer is in rotational motion only.  A  better word
would be "balance" for when a dancer is not in motion or just  standing still.

I'm guessing the first dance who used the word "axis" in application to
dancing wasn't a physicist...  ;-)

My 2 cents.

El Bandido de Tango

In a message dated 5/6/2006 10:17:19 Pacific Daylight Time,