[Tango-L] Close all the time vs all ranges debate

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Fri May 5 11:50:55 EDT 2006

Again we are looking this from our illusion of the central position  and our
love of Tango being that central point. As is our desire to be good  at it and
make it a mutually gratifying experience. It does not matter the  style, it
is this love of Tango that drives us.

The rub is reality. Teachers need students, students need to be infected
with the central point. Some are infected almost immediately, some aren't.   Some
come as couples, with one partner 'requiring the other, for the good of the
order, to participate".  The both have to enjoy the learning experience to
come back for the second lesson.  To some, the thought of trying to learn
something new and perceptively complicated while joined at the chest is
frightening and an invasion of their privacy. Why, culturally, it is an invasion  of
their space, it is a commitment to a stranger that makes them uncomfortable,
there are probably many reasons. The point is that it inhibits some.

In addition, to pay money to learn how to walk is a turn off and a bore,
when first you don't have a good understanding of why you need it and two, you
want to go home and think you have learned something.

Hence, some teachers begin with an open embrace, where each student  learns
to manage their own axis and each learns the 'basic patterns".   As classes
progress, and the teacher lays sufficient ground worked on the  cultural
background and the need to walk and be in balance, close embrace is  more easily
introduced. I will not discount that the difference in learning  curves will cause
problems and if the teacher allows bad habits to develop, the  result might
not be to good. But, we have good teachers and unfortunately bad  teachers.

The critical part of this approach is that the teacher must always be
providing info and guidance on the basics, the walk, the balance, the importance  of
the connection, the need of listening to the music, as well as encouragement
to listen to the music outside of class.

This approach is neither right or wrong, but seems to me when recruiting  new
dancers from the general populace, a open embrace approach is better. This
is from experience as I still have not been able to total bridge the gap with
my  spouse on the close embrace with strangers routine, but that is another
quest.

A well motivated group could well begin in close embrace and do well. Again
the key is that the client base either as it exists or is desired will or
should  dictate the method of teaching in the beginning classes. As students
desire to  learn more and progress styles of teaching as well as learning styles
change.

IMHO, just some thoughts,

Bill in Seattle

In a message dated 5/5/2006 8:11:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,