[Tango-L] Leading with hands... and even legs

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Jun 27 20:20:51 EDT 2006

There are messages on top of messages so I can't figure out who wrote below my name.

Legs are NOT part of the lead for sacadas. While the woman is doing a molinete, the man is touching her foot. The man lead a molinete and does an adornment. I give one example. I lead the woman in an front ocho to my left. After she pivots on her left foot, she steps forward into a molinete on her right foot. I step forward towards her free (left) foot and make contact for a sacada. My leg had NOTHING to do with leading the sacada, just like my leg has NOTHING to do with leading a barridas. I'll sweep the woman's foot on the side step after her back step. I'm leading the woman to step sideways with my torso, NOT the foot.

Now for this special walk, if I'm interpreting it correctly. As I lead the woman to step backwards on her right foot, I step forward on my left. As I lead her step back on her left, instead of stepping forward in front of her left foot, I wrap my right foot around her (free)  right foot. I have to bring my foot down to her ankle so as she puts weight onto that foot, it will pop out of the caress. I don't lead it with my foot. I have to get her to move onto her left foot with my torso so I can wrap her right foot. There is NO leading with my feet.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Drying out from the rain

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango

Somebody wrote:
> Wow. Does anyone here have experience of being lead by the /legs/?

You forgot sacadas (the leg is part of it) and barridas (using the foot and the leg)

There is also a very special kind of walk a few men apply, where they hold the woman close, lead her straight ahead while kind of "walking into her" while draping her vertically over their thighs. Sort of a full body contact walk of the four legged monster, and yes, it feels as sensuous as it sounds. The legs are part of the lead.