[Tango-L] Leading with whatever you want. - Elegance

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 17:15:36 EDT 2006

We studied with El Pulpo and Luiza last summer and were so
impressed with their quality of movement that we invited
them to teach here on September 9-10.

What El Pulpo and Luiza teach requires a lot of loose
joints (not a loose structure), which is one reason we
invited them.  Many people do not have that looseness,
which is something we’ve been trying to encourage.  It is
certainly this looseness that makes women appear more
elegant and fluid.  Luiza is definitely elegant.

With men, an attempt at elegance tends to produce
stiffness, I think.  Quite the opposite of women.  In fact,
some dancers that I love to dance with do not look elegant
on the dance floor, but they feel great.  Some dancers who
do look elegant are too stiff in feeling for my tastes.

El Pulpo’s more stout shape may keep him from looking less
elegant than a thin Osvaldo Zotto, but when he and Luiza
dance to slow music, anyone can see that it is definitely
quality dancing.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Crrtango at aol.com wrote:

> And Pulpo and Luiza are not exactly paradigms of elegant
> dancing.   Cute,
> tricky and acrobatic, yes.   Be careful about confusing
> complexity with quality.
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm