[Tango-L] Leading with whatever you want.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Tue Jun 27 15:02:26 EDT 2006

I still submit that leading with your hands or anything other than your torso
or upper body, whether open- or close-embrace is not good leading. It just
sounds like the easy way out, which we all know that many people (mostly male
leaders) are quick to jump on as a new approach to leading or dancing tango.
The various permutations like barridas (which most people, including teachers,
don't do correctly anyway) and sacadas are not really leads.
Ask your partners about being led by fingers. They don't mind? Most of the
women I talk to complain about men leading with their hands.

There are many intellectuals and analytical people who study tango which
unfortunately bogs down these discussions about what are basically very
fundamental principals that don't change even after one becomes "advanced." Intelligence
and analytic abilities have nothing to do with being a good dancer. Any truck
driver or mechanic can do it.  (The worst dancer I ever saw, who was also
very arrogant, belonged to Mensa.)  In the ten years of dancing, performing and
teaching that I have done, the problems that most people have, no matter how
long they have danced, usually have something to do with the basics. I think the
fact that there are so many awful "advanced" dancers out there speaks for the
fact that they discarded those basics too soon in favor of newer, more
interesting "theories." Nothing wrong with all the cute theories and explanations as
long as you keep in mind that they have very little to do with being a good
dancer.

And Pulpo and Luiza are not exactly paradigms of elegant dancing.   Cute,
tricky and acrobatic, yes.   Be careful about confusing complexity with quality.

Cheers,
Charles