[Tango-L] Leading

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Jun 27 14:29:37 EDT 2006

With all the LOMG dissertations about leading, I'm going to
keep mine short. The arms are part of the frame. When the
shoulders move, so do the arms. The arms shouldn't move
without the rest of the torso. The flip side is that when
the torso moves, the arms move as well.

Every now and then, an old problem surfaces when my left arm
doesn't move when my torso does. The left arm becomes a wall
and I lead the woman to crash into it. In other cases, my
left arm pushes the woman to move without the shoulders
rotating so our alignment is gone.

Even in open position (which I don't dance), the arms are
still part of the frame.

Hope this wasn't too long.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Swam to work yesterday because of the rain