[Tango-L] Leading with whatever you want.

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Tue Jun 27 15:49:48 EDT 2006

Key word:  Basics.  It is amazing what worlds open when you master  the
basics. It is also the hardest to master, as it seems the most boring. Need  to
learn new things, need to look better, new move, new me!  NOT really,  that path
only leads to sustained or minimally long-term mediocrity. A  solid foothold
in the basics means that "new" moves are variations of a  theme, not really new
moves you have to learn and plug into your  knowledge base.
Leading with  your hand(s) is natural when you partner does go where you
wanted her to go. It  also occurs when you are concentrating on a move and your
upper torso is not  inline with your feet and thinking, you react. My teachers
have taught me  and continue to teach me not to use my hands or arms
independently of my  upper torso.  It doesn't mean to not use them but rather not to
use them independently.  Like every rule there are exceptions, emergency  crowd
avoidance, for one.  In these  cases, one must modify the rule to use your
hands or arms as subtly as the  situation allows.
Not learning  the basics, means some of the time, for some much of the time,
you use your  hands and arms to cheat or make up for your lack of leading
skills. I speak from  experience here, as a majority of the time that I find
myself using my arms  and hands it is because I screwed up or am not thinking and
am reacting to  get it right.  The good news this is getting less and less an
issue.
As a lead, I  have had a partner use pressure to keep me from moving in a
direction, it was a  safety issue and I greatly appreciated the gesture.
Just some  thoughts,
Bill  in Seattle