[Tango-L] Leading with the leg

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 28 09:36:20 EDT 2006

By placing the leg in a certain position at the right moment or by touching
the leg of the woman with my thigh or my leg or by actually lightly pushing
her leg I will induce the woman to do certain moves that she otherwise would
not do.

High boleos (back flicks) from front ochos:

I lead the woman in an front ocho to my left. After she pivots on her left
foot, she steps forward into  the second part of her ocho with rt, I hook
her left foot with my left one and lift it.

This causes her to bend her knee and bring the foot I hooked up like during
a regular boleo.
I could then put my lt.foot together with my rt. and when she pivots on her
rt. to cross front for another ocho I go "in a mirror" (parallel) with my
rt..

When she pivots on her lt. for another front cross I repeat the hooking of
her trailing foot to induce another high boleo from front ochos.

Low or high amagues (front boleos or front flicks) from back ochos:

I lead the woman to do a back ocho to my left, as she crosses her lt. foot
back I place my rt, leg between her legs (her rt. is directly in front of
her lt. one) this induces her to cross her rt. in front for a low or high
amague depending on the energy I place on my leg.

Empujada (pushing of the leg):

I lead the woman to do a back ocho to my left (she crosses her lt. foot
back) I cross my rt back as well (like if i was to do a "half moon").

She would normally cross her rt. back to complete her back ocho and then
probably step with lt. backwards.  When she crosses her rt. back I have my
weight on my lt. crossed back and push forward my rt. to push her lt. that
depending on the nature of my push will do an amague or will lock in front
of the other foot and put wt. on it.

Empujada in a turn:

During a Rt. molinete I take her to the cross, I lead the woman in an front
ocho to my left. After she pivots on her left foot, she steps forward into a
molinete on her right . I do my first sacada on her trailing foot, then my
second sacada  on her side step now she executes the third step of that turn
lt. backwards after that step I over rotate her a little and with my left
leg I touch her lt. so that she locks it in front of her rt. one putting
weight on it.

I may repeat this last motion to lead her into pushing away from her lt. the
rt. back so that I push again her lt. to lock in front and put weight on it.
I could repeat this as I wish and then turn and do the same on the other
leg.

There are multiple examples but these few one should suffice.  As to other
moves such as hooks and leg wraps for instance. Those moves (IMO) are the
result of a complex lead where the torso the arms, the hands and the legs
are involved.  It is obvious that the hook would not be produced if I did
not place my leg in the right place at the right moment; it does not matter
if I complete my lead using other elements of my body.  This , by the way
would be an example of the use of a complex lead that utilizes different
elements of the body.

These observations are not only mine they are the result of my discussing
them with great dancers of tango such as Osvaldo Zotto, Nito Garcia and
Diego to mention only a few.

In another note I will attempt to discus the role of the hands and arms in
leading.

Have a good day , Sergio.