[Tango-L] Leading with hands... and even legs

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Tue Jun 27 07:09:00 EDT 2006

OK, some dancers report that good social dancers do not lead with their
hands, others report that they do.

But look, the "don't" reports come from people who have felt it. Whereas
the "do" reports come from people who have seen it, e.g.

> The milongueros I see in Bs As lead with everything; All of their body

Perhaps this is because, as in all of tango, you cannot tell what is really
happening by sight. And the only one who really can tell /how/ the guy is
leading is the girl who is feeling it.

Why are there class teachers saying "lead with hands"? Well, notice these
are ones who teach by sight, not feel.

But the girls are saying they don't like it. Because it does not feel good.

Guys, what is more important to us: giving the girls what they want, or
giving the girls what a teacher wants?

.

Then there's the advice of Viejo Milonguero who yesterday demanded

> when you talk about technique, specify "the way I dance I do this or that"
> and that will be fine but refrain to speak for the tango world as a whole,
> because it is wrong.

but today specifies how we should dance, as follows:

> It is when you go beyond that level of dancing that you are going to use
> your torso, your arms, your hands, your legs and more, to lead."

Wow. Does anyone here have experience of being lead by the /legs/?

How did you avoid falling over? Was it in some kind of nuevo tango which,
turning tradition upside down, has the couple embrace with their legs so
that they can dance on their hands? <smile>

Chris