[Tango-L] Leading with hands... and even legs

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Tue Jun 27 07:19:46 EDT 2006

> > It is when you go beyond that level of dancing that you are going to use
> > your torso, your arms, your hands, your legs and more, to lead."
>
> Wow. Does anyone here have experience of being lead by the /legs/?

You forgot sacadas (the leg is part of it) and barridas (using the foot and
the leg)

There is also a very special kind of walk a few men apply, where they hold
the woman close, lead her straight ahead while kind of "walking into her"
while draping her vertically over their thighs. Sort of a full body contact
walk of the four legged monster, and yes, it feels as sensuous as it sounds.
The legs are part of the lead.
Then you have the fantasia move, (no idea what it is called but you see it
on almost every picture of a fantasia teacher) where the woman does what
some German teachers call a "tiramisu", meaning, she raises her left knee
and runs her foot up the man's leg and wraps it around- or it can be started
by catching her leg in a sacada during a turn so that it runs up his thigh
naturally,
then he steps back with that leg while not letting her move, so she is
stretched out in that position.

Leg leads are sort of where the "bad boy style" starts in tango dancing, and
my Argentine friend told me there is one more move that will in most cases
have the woman slap you unless you know her very well..
But I will leave that up to our new Viejo Milonguero or whoever to explain.

; )
Astrid