[Tango-L] Leading with hands

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 00:50:16 EDT 2006

Hi all,

A former instructor here would teach his students to press
on the woman’s back to create ochos.  Found out about it
when the women would bring their boyfriends who were
studying with him to our practica so I could "fix" them.
The guys just thought their girlfriends (some former
students of ours) wanted to socialize with me and didn't
realize the real reason.  Women would ask Sean to teach a
class at a practica their boyfriends and practice partners
attended on how not to be so brutal.

Had a student who, after visiting a milonga, asked me if it
was normal for a woman to rub her back after doing boleos.
Something he had scene at several milongas, actually.  I
was shocked that he could even consider that a possibility.

Get enough women complaining and things will change.

Bottom line is that it is the women who determine if the
lead is appropriate or not.  Some women like that strong
lead.  These are probably the same ones who don’t work on
their tango.  Or they are not exposed enough to good
dancers.  Or tango is just a bunch of steps to them.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm