[Tango-L] Leading

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 23:44:23 EDT 2006

There seems to be a sort of dogmatic conflict going on about the "leading".
As the Viejo Milonguero says, if one only dances in the apilado style common
to the milongas of the center of Buenos Aires, one will only know or use the
chest to chest lead. However, that is not the only style of dancing in
Buenos Aires by far. I have it from very good sources that there are over
120 regular milongas in BsAs and 80%~90% of them are in the suburbs where
the salon style predominates. I know personally several real, authentic
older Argentinean milongueros (the prefer not to be called milongueros as
they think the name is perjorative). All of them dance a more elaborate
salon tango and they definitely used their  arms and hands to leads because
they are extensions of their bodies. There are many steps which are
practically impossible to lead by using the chest to chest contact. I've
also watched many of the best know milongueros in Bs As dance at various
milongas performing their particular styles for large audiences (yes, real
milongueros do dance for the public too). Many of them dance a salon style
and definitely use more than a chest to chest style of leading. I'm not even
going to mention the newer dancers of Nuevo and other styles which require
an open or more flexible embrace. It simply is erroneous to say that all
these people are wrong, who've been dancing for longer than many foreign
critics have been alive.

Sincerely,

Manuel

visit our webpage