[Tango-L] colgada

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 22:45:16 EDT 2006

Hi Michael,

>Right now,I'm interested in definition of colgada.
> Does it have to be a turn?

No.  A colgada that a lot of people teach in workshops
comes off of a sandwich. He sandwiches her feet, invites
her to lean back, and there's the colgada.  Then they swing
around in arcs, forming a circular figure together.  The
feet never move.  When he swings her far enough, she just
steps forward, ending the colgada.

>  Can it just be a turn aided by centrifugal
> force? Can turns involving this force always be
> considered as colgadas?
> Does this centrifugal force assist in other situations?

We've been using a little centrifugal force for boleos.
Also, there's single-axis turns, which is separate from
colgadas.  I suppose that any time you want to add velocity
to her rotation, it would be helpful.

> Can a "colgada" be considered as a milonguero element? I
> do a turn in  close-embrace that involves all of the
above......is it still milonguero?

Personally, I would say "no".  It can be a bit disruptive
to the trance if it's a big turn.  But that is only one
gal's opinion.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm