[Tango-L] tango learning-- Overcoming bad habits

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Jun 16 20:48:12 EDT 2006

Look fellas,

Splitting this discussion into teaching vs. learning really is quite
pointless, because we're talking about one body of knowledge, and three
different ways of parsing it, or shaping it into 60-minute topics.

Now, I doubt there's a *good* teacher out there who doesn't focus on one
area over another, because teachers learn to recognize their strengths
and rely on them. I also doubt this phenomenon, known as "having an
intellectual personality," is unique to American teachers.

Also, I doubt there's a *good* student out there who has failed to
realize that, e.g., step-sequences are different from improvisation.

Bad teachers and students, on the other hand, are almost by definition
those who:
* don't know themselves
* don't know the material
* don't know that the dance is layered with different kinds of technique

In the hopes of moving this discussion a little bit forwards, I'll offer
a couple observations from both sides of the admissions ticket, which is
to me the same piece of paper.

DISCLAIMER: Run like hell. I'm one of those who likes several styles,
dances them, and will even try to teach them. I find different styles
perfectly compatible, so long as one can identify the functional
principles behind them, and allow for slight variations between
individual dancers.

L E A R N I N G
Classes necessarily distort the dance by making it predictable to some
extent. This is especially true when the topic is a particular move, or
a sequence of steps, which it most often is. As a leader, I always try
to throw in off-topic steps, whether to navigate amongst other couples
or just to prevent my follower from anticipating things (which can
interfere with my learning to lead it correctly). (It also interferes
with her learning to execute it correctly, so I do this even if I
already "know" the move being taught, which often happens.)

I also try to time things to the music, because I never really
understand what a sequence or move is For, until I learn it as an
expression of rhythm or pitch.

In addition, I try never to practice anything without preserving the
line of dance, because I've found that such habits stick. Many students
get moves into their muscle memory without considering the social
context-- the big "tango racetrack," as it were-- and that makes it
harder for them to refine navigation later.

All three of these "extra" topics that I try to remember when learning
new steps-- improv, musicality, and navigation-- are what could be
called "structural ideas" of the tango. They're also the three things
that most (/most/) followers I've partnered in group classes find
themselves getting thrown off by, because they're trying to do as the
teacher says, rather than synthesize the new content with what they
already know, or should know.

I synthesize from the start. It's no more challenging, once you form the
habit, and the habit is easy to form. It has helped me accelerate my
learning to a considerable degree. When I partner with a less
experienced follower-- someone who's only been dancing a few months,
say-- I regularly get the comment: "I don't know what else you were
leading there, but I hope I followed it okay." I'm getting tired of
telling them they did fine, and I just threw in some simple maneuvering
steps to keep things fresh. But I suspect not many students are taught
to synthesize their learning in the early stages, and not many do it of
their own accord.

T E A C H I N G
My teaching is built upon my learning, and I challenge my students to be
creative. I teach structural ideas, or functional principles. The
students who are used to sequences get confused at first, but quickly
catch up. The ones who expect a new move get disappointed, because at
best I'll just show them how to lead a move they already know a little
bit better, or more easily, or more musically; I can show them ten new
ways to play with a toy, but if they get upset at me for not giving them
a "new colgada" or something, I tell them to be more creative with their
old one, using the knowledge I've tried to impart.

Or I tell them to do "tango moves" to a milonga. Or whatever. Every
dance is an experiment.

In any case, I find that teaching "advanced" concepts to beginners is
much easier than trying to drill them into so-called intermediate
students, because bad habits are very hard to eradicate. A lot of
followers learn to "kick" their boleos somewhere along the line, for
instance, and teaching them to relax their leg, release their weight
into the floor, and open themselves to a wider range of expressive
shapes and timings can be as frustrating for me as it is for them. They
feel like they're losing something they've worked hard to acquire; I
feel like they're resisting what is, in truth, a rather simple idea too
stubbornly. Now, I don't know if such habits are formed by learning
sequences by rote, or by too-early exposure to moves, or by trying to
copy what the eye sees (which is by far The Worst way to learn tango),
but something's responsible, and I think it's keeping a lot of dancers
from making faster progress.

I've started teaching an "overflow" class for beginning and intermediate
dancers on Thursdays (i.e., dancers who don't qualify for the advanced
class Murat Erdemsel is teaching in the same space), so perhaps I'll
figure out some strategies for coping with students' bad habits, and
getting them to leave them behind-- or at least consider it. But in a
few more weeks, I'm taking over for two months of instruction, and I'd
like to have my toolbox in order when it's time.

What I'll be doing anyway is exposing students to structural ideas, and
asking them to abandon predictability. I'll encourage them to play. And
I'll attempt to illustrate how bad habits inhibit their efficiency and
their expression, and how they can dance much more easily (and
delightedly) without them.

But if anyone can help me figure out how to address bad habits well, I'd
appreciate it tremendously. I only have a short list of ideas here:
* I teach students to do things "wrong," on purpose, so that they can
see the difference between wrong and right more clearly-- and so that
they exaggerate their mistakes into conscious territory
* I teach followers some "self-defense" skills, for coping with overly
forceful or hapless leaders (e.g., loosening their arms with those who
lead boleos with arms only, keeping their free leg under themselves
during volcadas with leaders who do them larger than they can control)
* I teach leaders not to stoop under the weight of a "heavy" (downward,
rather than horizontal) follower's embrace
* I teach both partners to change embraces if and when they need to, and
to be clear about which embrace they're using

All of this has led to student progress in my private lessons (e.g.,
they start learning more about their dancing when they're away from me,
they learn more quickly from other teachers, they dance better), but
group classes don't allow me to establish the same personal rapport with
everyone at once.

So: Bad habits and how to conquer them, in self and in others. I offer
my list to anyone who can use it. Offer me yours if you'd like to help
me (and my students) out.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC