[Tango-L] tango learning concepts

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Fri Jun 16 19:20:10 EDT 2006

Wow! Chris must be confused.  There is very little resemblance between
what I wrote and his selective quotation of my remarks.

To clarify my thoughts for Chris and others who may be equally befuddled,
I will restate and amplify the idea once more.
(In doing so, I am ignoring the ensuing discussion which has been quite
informative.)

Most people pursue learning by studying with a teacher who uses a
pedagogy.

Pedagogies are limited by their nature, and in my opinion each of the
three major pedagogies used to teach tango in the United States are
extremely limited.

Because each of the styles of tango are linked to a particular pedagogical
approach to teaching in the United States, the profusion of poorly trained
dancers has created confusion between the characteristics of a style and
the limitations of the pedagogical approach to teaching that style.  That
confusion may have resulted in the appearance that different styles of
tango are wildly incompatible and do not belong to the same generic dance
form.

Moreover, it lets the instructors and other advocates of each style
criticize the other styles for characteristics of the pedagogy rather than
the style itself.   Dancers who have been taught by instructors using
narrowly conceived pedagogies and who have not learned very deeply on
their own may be misled into believing they are dancing a style that is
substantially different/better than the other styles.  Dancers who have
been so misled may polarize into communities of ignorant,
self-perpetuating belief.

If students are unable to look beyond the one pedagogy by which they are
being taught, their learning will be relatively limited.  Through their
own exploration, some dancers may overcome the limitations of the narrow
pedagogy by which they have been taught and actually learn to dance their
own tango.  Others may might find it fruitful to pursue instruction from
those taking different pedagogical approaches to teaching tango, but doing
so in the United States is likely to mean taking classes from instructors
who teach different styles of tango.

Occasionally, you will find a wacky instructor who uses a widely conceived
pedagogical approach and is open to multiple styles of tango.  Run like
hell to get away because such instruction is likely to prove totally
confusing or you will end up misunderstood yourself.

With best regards,
Steve